Resources and Education
Top Ten Things ALL DOMESTIC WORKERS SHOULD KNOW!!
CALLING ALL NANNIES, HOUSE CLEANERS AND ADULT CARE WORKERS
TOP TEN THINGS EVERY DOMESTIC WORKER SHOULD KNOW!
By Lydia Edwards, Esq. Brazilian Immigrant Center
1. You have the right to get paid every week or every other week.
2. When you are paid you are required to get at least $8.00 an hour and you must get paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 hours in one week.
3. All employers including home owners have to keep a record of the hours of their employees. You should should keep your own hours, as well. In case the employer doesn’t have them, the court will consider your own records!
4. If you hurt yourself and work more than 16 hours in someone’s home you have the right to Workers Compensation.
5. No one has the right to touch you sexually or make you feel uncomfortable.
6. If you live in the home, your employer must provide adequate, decent and sanitary lodging, including heat, potable water, and light and can only deduct a maximum of $35.00 a week from your salary!
7. If you live in the home, your employer can ONLY deduct meal costs with your WRITTEN permission, and the maximum the employer can deduct is $1.50 for Breakfast, $2.25 for Lunch, and $2.25 for dinner.
8. House cleaners, if you are required to travel in between homes for cleaning you are still on the clock and must be paid for the driving time. Driving to work from your house and going from work to your home, however, is not paid time.
9. An employer cannot fire you, refuse to hire you or pay you less because of your race, gender, sexual orientation or because you’re pregnant.
10. The best way to protect yourself is to have a written contract. Need one?
Contact Lydia Edwards, Director of DW Law and Policy Clinic at Brazilian Immigrant Center at email@example.com or 617 783 8001, ext. 113.